We’re looking for a Geo-Environmental Specialist to join our growing GGS Scotland team to help deliver our continuous ground gas monitoring services.
Based from our office in Falkirk, this role will carry out site work across Scotland, whilst also contributing to data processing, interpretation and report writing.
See our job description below for more information and apply via our LinkedIn job advert.
About the job
The role will involve carrying out specialist environmental monitoring, risk assessment and reporting on a variety of projects across Scotland.
You will be working with the wider team to help deliver essential ground gas monitoring services, along with data processing, analysis and report writing.
Your responsibilities will include:
• conducting specialist ground gas monitoring surveys
• accurately recording and processing environmental data
• contributing to data analysis and report writing
• carrying out site and field work safely and in line with our Health and Safety policies
The role does require significant travel and field/site work. So, you will need to enjoy being outside, travelling the country and be comfortable working independently in the field.
What are we looking for?
We're looking for an enthusiastic applicant with some experience of working in the environmental or geo-environmental science sector.
We particularly want to hear from people looking to progress a career in ground gas and contaminated land, whilst proactively contributing to the successful expansion of GGS Scotland.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
• Bachelors degree in a relevant geo/environmental discipline
• Experience of geo/environmental science related site/field work
• 2-3 years of experience in the geo/environmental science sector (preferably in a consultancy)
• Full UK driving license
• Proactive with a practical aptitude and good problem-solving skills
• High level of computer literacy
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work well both independently and within a wider team
• Ability to prioritise and manage workload to meet deadlines
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience
• Post-graduate degree in a relevant geo/environmental discipline
• Experience of lone working in the field/on-site
• Experience of the ground gas or contaminated land sector
• Membership and involvement with a relevant professional institution
• Experience with specialist software packages (for example, GIS)
We provide full specialist technical training to help you develop the ground gas monitoring and assessment skills required for the role. You will work closely with both the GGS Scotland team and the wider GGS family of experts, from our site staff through to our directors. We have a skills development framework which provides a structured approach to tailor your specialist learning, development and progression through the company.
Falkirk (office base location). Regular site work primarily across Scotland, along with trips to our UK office, based in Stockport. A company van will be available for travel to site.
Salary, working hours and employee benefits
£21,000 - £24,000 (depending on experience).
We'd like someone to join us full-time but we will also consider part-time working.
We a take a forward looking approach to taking care of our staff, providing attractive benefits and encouraging a good work-life balance. We provide good pension provision, flexible working, over-night stay ‘bonus’ payments and work from home options (when not doing site work).
GGS Scotland is a new and growing extension of our wider GGS family of experts. At GGS, we have been the UK’s leading experts in continuous ground gas monitoring, analysis and interpretation services for over a decade. And from the beginning, we have been involved in many projects for Scottish clients.
Now with the launch of GGS Scotland, we are expanding provision of our continuous ground gas services tailored to the needs of our growing client base, throughout Scotland, from the Central Belt to the Highlands and Islands.
This is an exciting opportunity to participate at an early stage in this rapidly expanding business. We are an inclusive employer, and we value giving equal opportunities to all.